18.10.10

A Quilting Weekend - Part I - Pacific International Quilt Festival

This weekend was all about quilting!  My sister and I signed up for an all day quilt class at the Pacific International Quilt Festival in Santa Clara on Saturday and since we knew we'd be tied up in the class all day, we decided to take the day off work to see the show on Friday.  And I'm so glad we did!

Quilt by Gloria Loughman
Isn't this the most fantastic quilt?  Although it was almost impossible to chose a favorite, this was definitely one of mine.  It was part of a small exhibit of quilts by Ms. Loughman called "A Slice of Oz".  We saw so many quilts - it made my head swim. Toward the end of our allotted time (10-4) with a short break for lunch, we realized we hadn't seen the quilts at the back of the convention center and were literally running down the last few aisles.

Although we did a pretty good job staying away from the vendor stalls, I couldn't resist these gorgeous hand-dyes from Cherrywood fabrics.
 I have been admiring  Cherrywood fabric for ages, but it's the sort of thing I like to see and touch in person before buying.  I was so glad to see they had a booth at the Festival.  I purchased two fat quarter packs and a pattern with the intention of making a small wall quilt for my sister's sun room.

Here's my entire (quilt-related, that is...ha ha) haul:


My sister was very drawn to this pixelated-looking quilt.
My sister
 I have a few more pictures from the show on flickr under the quilt show set (see display in the right-hand column of my blog).

As much as I could have lingered for several more hours I had to drive back to the City thru rush hour traffic, pick up my daughter from school, grab takeout for a quick dinner before going to a play with my family.  The play (Scarpin at ACT), was fabulous (the two glasses of champagne helped).   I felt I had way too much going on this weekend to be able to devote two days to myself, but I won't bore you with the details.  Fortunately my husband was managing all of the kids' activities.  I had to figure out when in the heck I was going to find the time to prep my fabric and supplies for my quilt class the next morning.  I set my alarm clock for 6 am.....

Coming up next:
Part II:  Quilting Class 

2 comments:

Dee said...

rush, rush, rush-don't you wish you had a week or two to do what you want to do? like viewing quilts that need time to appreciate them and absorb all they want to tell you?

wishing you extra time somewhere in your day!

Rebekah said...

I would love to see this show in person one day. That first quilt is gorgeous and must be even more beautiful up close!