6.9.11

Getting Unstuck

After getting completely “stuck” on the Darting Birds block, and seriously questioning whether it was worth continuing on with the FWS project, I decided to skip over to the next block in the book; Ducks & Ducklings.   I’m happy to say that I am now officially “unstuck”.


The block would be more aptly named Cobwebs & Clover.  I used 2 different Alexander Henry prints, both Halloween themed - the B&W clover is from the Ghastlies line.

I then revisited Darting Birds, and once I settled on the bold wavy print, it came together.


Next up, Economy


Thank goodness for an EASY one!!!!  I've been waiting for a block with some large pieces so I could feature this cool print from my stash.  The way I oriented the fabric, it actually looks much better not "on-point". 


Lastly, #30 End of Day


I literally finished this one at the end of day, yesterday, which is why the photo is so grainy.  Again, I was able to use a wonderful Alexander Henry Print (the dark print) ... the black striped fabric in Economy is also an A. Henry print.

I used templates for this last batch of blocks.  I can say now after 30+ blocks, with the exception of some blocks that only need very simple math calculations, my blocks made with the templates have come out the best. My  paper piecing blocks yielded exacting results but loads of frustration (and swearing) and the finish size blocks were coming out a tad on the small side.  I like to piece with a scant 1/4" seam as it gives me wiggle room to trim down anything too wonky.

I'd like to share with you my work process.  I should probably take some pictures to flesh this out.  

I'm cutting out the templates and pasting them onto plastic template sheets.  I leave the paper template cut a little big and then trim it down once it's secured to the plastic.  I find I can use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut fabric with these.  Occasionally,  I do need to toss a template if I've cut on it too many times, but still, I'm finding myself working faster, and with good results.  Before cutting into my fabric, I measure my templates and cut a fabric strip horizontal to the selvage to fit the template.  This saves a lot of time.  I wasn't having good results with slapping my template down randomly on a fabric piece, and tracing around the template with a pen or pencil.



FWS- Progress Shot

Have a great week!

Claudia

6 comments:

greg said...

Congrats on being unstuck! Your blocks really have lots of fun prints. I'm using the same method, but substituting manila folders instead of the plastic. I use spray adhesive on the paper template, stick it down to the folder and cut.

greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lesly said...

Wow - looking so great, Claudia. Love the prints and the intricacy of these blocks!

Celia said...

I love your blocks. I'm just starting the quilt myself !

Memaw and Papa said...

I love your fabric choices. You are a great artist. I found your blog today from Amy creative side. I am also doing the fwqal. I chose bright fabrics for mine. I love to look at others because we all have different interpretations.
Thanks for sharing!
Cindy

Claudia said...

Hi MeMau and Papa. Thanks for your comment. I'd love to see your FWS blocks but you have your profile blocked.