31.10.13

Modern Amish Sampler

A very last-minute submission of my Modern Amish Sampler to The Blogger's Fall Quilt Festival in the home machine quilt category.  This is a quilt that I planned to make for several years to hang over my sister's fireplace -- finally finishing it in the Spring of this year.

Modern-Amish Sampler

back side


Some Details:
It started with a fabric bundle from Cherrywood Fabrics and a pattern called Marmalade & Jam purchased at a quilt show.  I used my own color scheme and ended up having to add various other fabrics to complete the quilt.  I used wool batting, which is why the quilt is so densely quilted.  I had no idea how "puffy" my stitching looked so I kept on adding thread until I right to me.

The back is improv-pieced with log cabin blocks k (my own design).

Quilt is faced instead of bound.

I use a Babylock domestic sewing machine for all of my quilts for both piecing and quilting.  I prefer to free-motion quilt organic-type shapes instead of using templates or pre-marking my quilt tops.  The open feather design featured here is one of my favorite designs to quilt. 


Quilting detail -- before binding

Free motion quilting in progress

One of my favorite spots



"Modeling" the finished top

Cherrywood fabric bundles

Pattern & fabrics

******************

One final picture showing the quilt hanging over my sister's fireplace!

Modern Amish Quilt
Thanks for stopping by!

Claudia

2 comments:

Beth said...

I love your quilt. It turned out great!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

You did a lovely job on the quilt and the quilting.