20.8.10

My trip to Pennslyvania

I'm back!  We returned very late on Saturday night and have leaped right back into the thick of work, school (yes, school's started already), PTA meetings, chores, and so on.  I'm just getting around to downloading my pictures and picnicking them (editing).

I spent a fabulous week in Pennsylvania with my sister's family.  At my request, one day we drove to Amish Country to see the Heritage Quilt & Textile Museum.  We had several teens and tweens in tow, so I couldn't linger, but I was thrilled to finally get to see a portion of the Esprit collection of Amish quilts housed by this museum.

IMG_1431
My Sister

IMG_1429
Esprit collection of Amish Quilts in main room

IMG_1430

The building was formerly a bank, patterned after Penn Station in NYC.  It had a gorgeous, detailed ceiling.  Photos were allowed, but all the quilts in the atrium were in glass cases.  I took photos anyway, to get an overview of the space.

IMG_1432

Clever use was made of the vault.

IMG_1434
View into the side gallery featuring some local Lancaster County quilts.
IMG_1433
Joseph's Coat quilt attributed to Fanny S. Bucher Snyder, circa 1885.  There were two spectacular versions of these on display.  My photo does not do justice to the vibrant colors.  Different quilting patterns were used in each color strip.  More info. about these quilts can be found here

One more quilt....

Sampler Quilt
Sampler

I picked this up at the museum's gift shop:

from the Heritage Quilt & Textile Museum in Lancaster, PA

And this tiny handmade doll (only a few inches high) for my daughter):

IMG_1492

I was amused to discover the doll posing with the umbrella when I went to photograph the doll this morning.

IMG_1493

At a nearby quilt shop, my sister bought me this wonderful pincussion made from a scrap from a vintage crazy quilt and an antique button.

Pincussion
******
Now it's back to the usual grind.  I hope to get back to my WIPs soon.

3 comments:

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

looks like a fun trip! gorgeous quilts!

Rebekah said...

oh man! The quilting in these quilts is phenomenal! I'm in awe.

RosaMaría said...

amazing quilts!! looks like you had great time your your sis!!